Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No Really... I'm Only 7 Months Pregnant

Why is that when you're pregnant, everyone, and I mean everyone, decides it's their place to comment on your weight, tell you horror stories of their labor, take bets on your delivery date, or guess the weight of your baby? I had no idea that apparently my stomach should be up for a new Guinness Record, and that I could quite possibly have the world's largest baby. Maybe I'm just over sensitive or hormonal, but the next person that walks up to me and says, "You're SO big!" might just lose an eye.

It's one thing when it happens once a week, but when at least two people a day gasp when I tell them I'm not due until October 27th, you start to question whether or not you're really carrying just one child. I'm really not making this up... When we flew home to Alabama, I heard it a lot, but I chalked it up to having not being seen since I got pregnant. But when it comes from people I see here in Eugene... every day... you start to wonder. So, in an effort to help those people out there who may not realize that there are a few things that should remain unsaid to a pregnant woman, I've come up with my own "Top Ten."

Top Ten Things NOT to say to a Pregnant Woman

10.) Wow... you're really getting big!
9.) Are you sure you should be eating that second Twix bar?
8.) When I was pregnant, I only gained 5 lbs.
7.) Oh you're seven months pregnant? Well, let me tell you my labor horror story...
6.) Wow... how far along are you? 10 months?
5.) By the looks of you, that baby's going to weigh 12 pounds!
4.) We're taking bets on when you'll deliver... I've got 50 bucks on tomorrow.
3.) Are you SURE you're only 7 months pregnant?
2.) My goodness... you're huge! Are you sure you're not due until October?

and the #1 thing NOT to say to a pregnant woman is....

1.) ...284 stitches and a catheter later, I got to go home. (Yes, I actually heard this one...)

Seriously though, I'm feeling great. My husband tells me I look beautiful. My doctor says my weight is good. I've got wonderful friends that tell me the comments I'm hearing are crazy. I'm proud to be pregnant, and if A.J. comes out weighing 6 lbs. or 15 (heaven forbid) he'll be loved no matter what.

And for those of you who may forget about the list and tell me that I could be carrying triplets, I'll forgive you... just this once. :-)

5 comments:

Aunt Janet said...

As usual, your husband is right. You are beautiful! And don't you ever forget it!

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! What is wrong with people...you are a beautiful preggers. Very excited for you and nervous for you, but that's just cause I've never had a kid due to scariness of top ten #1. Can't wait to meet A.J.!

Anonymous said...

Oops, I'm so sorry - it just slipped out of my mouth!!! But I do always strive to be #1, so there you go! BTW - You are an adorable pregnant southern girl!!!

Anonymous said...

And it was only 84!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's almost time for Baby AJ to be here!! I bet yall can't wait! After reading your blogs I feel bad about the "are you really only 7 months" comment. It was just because I hadn't seen you in a really long time....You are beautiful and are going to be a great momma....Tell Mick he better put me on the delivery list to call!! Good luck girl, it won't be long now! Miss yall and talk to you soon!