While I was pregnant with AJ, one of my very best friends called to tell me that she was engaged and asked me to be a bridesmaid! I was so excited for Julie... Gabe is a wonderful man and I know they'll be so happy..., but I was also excited because it meant a trip home to show off my son! Julie's also an excellent planner as her wedding was just three days after Hannah Cate's first birthday! We got to celebrate a marriage and a milestone birthday all in one trip!
So a little more than seven months after AJ was born, we were packing for a trip to Alabama. Mick ended up flying out the day before us so that he could work a camp with Marla at UAB. AJ and I were on our own! Our flight didn't leave until mid-afternoon on Hannah Cate's birthday, so we spent the morning taking our time getting ready. My sweet son chose this day to decide he was ready to start crawling! Since I took my time, we were packed and ready to walk out the door about two hours before we really needed to, so I took AJ by work to say happy birthday to Kimberly and show off his new trick. Just so you know, once a child has become mobile, sitting still isn't really a great option any more. AJ spent the hour we had at the airport before our flight chasing my cell phone around.
This is where the story gets interesting. First of all, let me say that I am so blessed to have such a wonderful son. Our flight home took us through Denver for a plane change. I was extatic that AJ slept most of the flight, but even more extatic that the young man seated next to us had a seven month old daughter at home. Whew! This was even more of a blessing when storms prevented us from landing. We circled Denver several times before having to fly to Grand Junction to refuel. I was trying not to panic and praying that all flights were being delayed as we sat on the tarmac hooked up to the tanker truck. We finally arrived in Denver... about five minutes after our connecting flight took off. *sigh* So there I was in the Denver airport at 9:00 pm with a baby that hadn't eaten since about 3:00 pm. Stressed? Naahhhh... An hour later we had made it through the customer service line, learned that our best bet for getting to Birmingham wouldn't get us there until 2:30... pm... the next day. So, we added AJ's first delay and overnight stay in Denver to our exciting adventure. We got to a hotel (because the prospect of staying in the airport with a seven month old didn't sound so appealing) around 11:00 pm and needless to say, I was tired and AJ was hungry and exhausted.
Long story... well long... we finally arrived in Birmingham. It was a great trip! Julie's wedding weekend was beautiful (except for a few rainy hours just before the wedding)! For pics and stories of the wedding, visit their blog. AJ had a great time hanging out with family while I was attending to the beautiful bride (no matter what Mimi & Aunt ShaShe tell you)!
AJ and Hannah Cate got to spend a lot of time together. It was so great to see them both crawling... AJ a little slower than Hannah Cate... and playing together. Hannah Cate's favorite game is steal the paci. It was very entertaining to watch. I can't believe how much she's grown.
Mimi (my mom) and Aunt ShaShe (my mom's sister) watched AJ a lot during the wedding events. Bless their hearts, they had to deal with a baby who was teething and a little unsure of where he was. Thank you Aunt ShaShe for letting us stay with you while we were there.
Granddaddy was so gracious to open his house up for the popsicle party we were supposed to have at the park. Thunderstorms in June in Alabama? Unheard of. We were so excited to see so many friends while we were home! We had a great time hanging out at Granddaddy's house and are very sorry that the delayed flight took away a chunk of our time!
Aunt Janet always takes the best pictures, and this trip was no different. She shared some great shots with us just the other day! We were so glad we got to spend some time with her too!
My trips home to Alabama never seem long enough, but we always have a great time! The trip home to Eugene was, thankfully, very uneventful... probably because Mick was on the flights back with us.
Below are some pictures from our trip. If you'd like to see some more, my sister posted some great ones here!
Saying hello!

"Why isn't he wearing clothes??"

After a round of "Steal the Paci". Notice the color of the pacis in AJ & Hannah Cate's mouths. :-)

Meeting Great-Great Grandmother!

Playing at Aunt ShaShe's (Somehow I got home without any pictures of AJ & Mimi or Aunt ShaShe.) :-(

Meeting Aunt Jennifer, Aunt Julie, and one of AJ's new best friends, Anthony!

Having Dreamland BBQ with Marla & Maia (and Marline & Jim - not pictured)

Sweet Birthday Girl!

Sweet Birthday Girl - 2

Aunt Janet & Granddaddy!

Aunt Janet

Sweet Boy

Sweet Boy - 2

Photo Shoot at Aldridge Gardens (note - getting the seven month old and one year old to "pose" at the same time... not an easy task... especially in 90+ degree heat.)

Wonder what they're talking about...

"Man... it's a long way down..."

Happy Boy!

"If we crawl that way, maybe we can lose the moms with the cameras..."


"Okay, the kid's touching me..."

Behind the scenes at the photo shoot.

Aunt Janet's favorite shot.

Hannah Cate, Mommy, and Baby #2!!! :-)

How can you not love that face?

Hamming it up for the camera.



Such a big girl!!

(Disclaimer for all my UAB Blazer friends: I have not disowned my alma mater. I am a Blazer first and foremost. However, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Auburn Tigers. Especially since it runs in my family. Sorry Mom!)
Two of my favorite Auburn fans!
AJ says... "Auburn's #1!"

"Waaaaaaarrrrrrr Eagle! HEY!"

Our very short visit with Aunt Jennifer, Uncle Sean, & Sweet baby Lexi! (We love them despite their poor judgment in colleges...)

Our very short visit with Aunt Jennifer, Uncle Sean, & Sweet baby Lexi! (We love them despite their poor judgment in colleges...)

*Mick has pointed out that I use often use "home" interchangeably to talk about Alabama & Eugene. I'd like to say that I'm very blessed. I will always have two "homes": My home with Mick, A.J., & Wrigley, and my Alabama home.*




No comments:
Post a Comment