Some days I just feel swallowed up by the world. Do you ever feel that way? You don't know which way is up. Your to-do list is a million miles long. You're feeling defensive because attacks are coming towards your family.
You must be speaking Greek because no one understands you. That, or someone pushed your mute button because no one is listening. And to top things off, you feel like you've taken a wrong turn on this road called life, and there's no where to stop and ask for directions.
I had one of those days today. Mick and I were talking it out tonight after we got home from work, when, shockingly enough, AJ decided we should be watching Elmo and playing with trucks instead. So Mick, being the wonderful daddy that he is, began crawling in the floor making engine noises. I walked back to our bedroom for a quiet moment.
Sitting on my nightstand was a book that a very dear friend gave me years and years ago. I waited until last year to start reading it. Sometimes procrastination is a good thing. The book is "Hugs - Daily Inspirations for Women". 365 pages of devotionals. One for each day of the year. Reading this book got me through the tough times last year.
Most people probably read their devotionals in the morning. You know, start the day off right. Me, not so much. I'm barely awake enough in the mornings to not drown in the shower, much less comprehend a meaningful devotional. Last year I would crawl into bed and read the devotional for that day right before I went to sleep. They calmed me down. I ended my day on a good note, and consequently would wake up in a better mood.
I also felt like I could apply the messages to my day better that way. There were days when I felt like God sent that devotional for me to read on that specific day. I could look back on the day and see exactly where I went wrong. What I should have done. What I should have been thinking about in specific moments. What I would do next time.
So, back to today. I haven't picked up the book in... well this is May...so about five months. But I needed help today. I picked up the book and opened it to May 18. Here's what I found:
At Peace with Your Purpose
God has called us to live in peace
I Corinthians 7:15 NIV
Are you at peace with the direction of your life? Or are you still rushing after the illusion of peace and happiness that our world promises but cannot deliver? The answer to this simple question will determine, to a surprising extent, the direction and the quality of your day and your life.
Popular speaker and author Joyce Meyer said, "We need to be at peace with our past, content with our present, and sure about our future, knowing they are all in God's hands."
Today, as a gift to yourself, to your family, and to your friends, claim the inner peace that is your spiritual birthright. It is offered freely; it's yours for the asking. So ask - and then share.
"We plant sees that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all." - Dorothy Day
Wow. Thank you God for the message. I get it. I won't let the stresses of life get me down. When I feel like my life is stuck in neutral or I can't see where the road I'm on is winding, I will rest easy in the peace that is knowing You're in control. Okay... in all actuality, I'll probably have a down moment, but then I'll remember that all I've got to do is look up. You'll be there reminding me that "You've got this".

1 comment:
Emily,
You are right....that was an awesome reminder!!! Let's both have a wonderful day today!!! Keep your head up!!!
Love you,
Tami
Post a Comment