Before I tell you more about this little zoo, I feel a disclaimer is in order. Whenever I've heard or used the word "critter", an image comes to mind of small, mainly harmless, mostly woodland creatures. You know, raccoons, rabbits, chipmunks... that kind of thing. There are definitely some of those at this zoo, but most of Mike's "critters" are large, jungle-type, LARGE animals.
They even have ligers (a cross between a lion and a tiger). Sadly, I had a hard time getting a picture of them. That being said, they are the luckiest large, jungle-type, LARGE animals I've seen. Mike and his crew take such good care of all of the animals, and he has got to be one of the bravest (albeit somewhat insane) men I've seen since the Crocodile Hunter. I mean, who in their right mind would let a bear take a marshmallow out of his mouth or suck on his thumb?? Mike would. His love for his animals is apparent, and you can tell that the animals love him right back.
They even have ligers (a cross between a lion and a tiger). Sadly, I had a hard time getting a picture of them. That being said, they are the luckiest large, jungle-type, LARGE animals I've seen. Mike and his crew take such good care of all of the animals, and he has got to be one of the bravest (albeit somewhat insane) men I've seen since the Crocodile Hunter. I mean, who in their right mind would let a bear take a marshmallow out of his mouth or suck on his thumb?? Mike would. His love for his animals is apparent, and you can tell that the animals love him right back.
We arrived at the zoo, and immediately joined in a tour of the animals starting with a very entertaining visit with the monkeys, then the big cats, onto a (much longer than I would have liked) stop off to see the reptiles, and finally the bears. We then watched his herd of grazing animals come running across some of the 70 acres for a snack. Fun stuff. We ended by having a snack ourselves on the picnic benches and were joined by Wal-mart, one of the friendly goats at the zoo.All in all, it was a great day and totally worth the $8 admission. If you're ever near Troy, AL, I HIGHLY recommend stopping by to visit McClellan's Critters. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Saying hello to the camels...
Grandpa and the snake, ewww...
It's hard to tell, but that's a baby alligator that AJ is touching. Again... ewww.
There is a lion back there, I promise.
I think we were the last family to leave, and the nice lady let us feed the calf before we left.
And just so you don't think I'm pulling your leg, this is Mike with a marshmallow in his mouth to feed to his bear.


No comments:
Post a Comment